The Red Meat Advisory Council (RMAC) is a federation of Australian red meat and livestock national employer associations and commodity representative organisations. RMAC members are the prescribed Peak Industry Councils under the Australian Meat and Livestock Industry Act 1997, including the:
- Australian Livestock Exporters’ Association,
- Australian Lot Feeders’ Association,
- Australian Meat Industry Council,
- Cattle Council of Australia,
- Sheep Producers Australia, and
- Goat Industry Council of Australia
RMAC plays an important role in the current industry organisational structure that originated on 1 July 1998.
This structure is based on industry, as distinct from government, ownership of industry service agencies, with accountability of those agencies to industry stakeholders they represent. The Commonwealth Government has empowered the MLA (producing sector’s delivery company), LiveCorp (livestock exporting sector’s deliver company) and AMPC (processing sector’s delivery company) to receive statutory levies. This empowerment is formalised in various documents which set out agreements reached between the Peak Industry Councils, Industry Companies and the Federal Government.
RMAC is intended to ensure this structure operates holistically and the national organisations interact effectively on behalf of the industry. RMAC also provides the national interface between the red-meat industry and Government.
The Peak Industry Councils are given the responsibility of providing leadership, formulating policies and setting strategic imperatives for the sectors they represent, and giving policy advice to the Minister on sector-specific issues. The Peak Industry Councils also assess the performance of their respective sector companies (MLA, AMPC or LiveCorp) and are required to interact with the companies in goal-setting and on funding requirements.
RMAC’s core business is to:
- Provide cross-sector advice to the Commonwealth Government;
- Provide a forum for the resolution of cross-sector issues;
- Act as trustee of the red meat industry fund; and
- Review and assist the effective workings of the MOU and industry strategic plan, Red Meat 2030.
The red meat industry Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) defines the roles, responsibilities and obligations of, and commitments and other matters agreed by, the Peak Industry Councils, MLA, AMPC, LiveCorp and the Commonwealth Government.